Wednesday, September 16, 2020

Asian Themes.. Day 2

 Today was pantry challenge day 2. We had some successes and some fails.  But the fails weren't spectacular.  I just know what NOT to do now... 

For breakfast Monkey FOUR blueberry freezer waffles!!  Wow, that kid can eat!! (If it's something he wants/likes!)  Scrappy and I both had yogurt with granola cereal.  We're starting to get low on yogurt, so I may have to either pick some up or make some in about a week... maybe.  Depends on if Scrappy keeps eating it 5x per day....

Lunch wasn't a very big hit.  Based on the suggestions of some members of a group I belong to, and after watching some Food Network, I attempted to make Egg Roll Ravioli.  The premise is to use the egg rolls in place of the pasta.  Yesterday at the food truck, I got a 10# box of uncooked Italian sausage, so I divided it up into about 1# packages, give or take.  I had thawed one out to use today.  

The ravioli would use some of the stuff I had in the fridge that needed to be used... egg roll wrappers, cottage cheese, and I have a lot of eggs.



To go with the ravioli, the boys had a choice of the leftover spaghetti sauce or a garlic pesto I made with some sorry looking garlic scapes, cottage cheese, and pinenuts that have been in the cupboard forever.



It was definitely VERY garlicky!!  I liked the filling and the sauce, but the ravioli itself left much to be desired.  I even tried frying one, and it didn't help.

Lesson learned.

For supper I pulled out a couple cabbage that were on their last legs and made up some egg rolls.  I made them after lunch so I could use everything I already had out.  I shredded up half a purple and half a green cabbage with a couple carrots and fried up the rest of the sausage.  Rolled them up in the remaining wrappers, and placed between 2 damp paper towels in a cake pan and covered with plastic until supper time.


I originally was going to make fried rice, but I remembered I had some rice noodles that needed to be used.  Unfortunately after cooking them I found out they weren't any good...  New plan.  Spaghetti noodles with lo mein sauce... Princess was very happy because she said she's been craving Asian food lately.  We didn't have any sweet and sour sauce, so I made that from scratch too.  Overall it ended up being a pretty good meal!



Even for snack I used up some leftovers!  I hadn't made banana rollups for a LONG time, so the boys had those for snack.  Monkey didn't eat the chocolate chips, which I thought was odd. But Scrappy ate the whole thing.  Pretty good for someone who claims they don't like peanut butter....




I had some filling mix left after making the egg rolls, so I mixed up some "egg roll in a bowl" and packed up 3 meals worth.  Hubs will have some good stuff for lunch tomorrow.


Before making supper, we enjoyed a little ride in the pickup though.  I was excited.... he even let me drive <3 <3

What did you cook today?

No comments:

Post a Comment