Tuesday, September 22, 2020

School - and Day 9 Pantry Challenge

 It's Tuesday.  Which means it's a school day and, this time of year, a farmer's market day.  Some days it's difficult to balance everything.  It's even more so when you have 2 children with special needs and a farm.  Fortunately, currently, the only real "farm work" that needs to be tended to daily is care for the animals.  In a couple weeks the animal situation will change a bit as my meat birds will be ready to process.  I'm also looking to get a ram goat so I can breed 3 of my goats.  I think I'm going to hold on to one of my dairy goats to give her another chance.  But I'd also like to breed my 2 meat goats.

Willow, my Boer (meat) goat breeder

Different days always look different for the homeschool life.  Today while Scrappy was doing animal chores (he even fed them today in addition to his normal chore of watering), I mixed up a double batch of rustic white bread.  My kids love this bread so much I think I'm going to have to be constantly making extra for the house!!  It is SOOOO good!  They will eat a whole loaf in one meal, if not just for snacks.

Today we started the CAT5 test for Scrappy. 



In Minnesota once kids reach the age of 7 they must have annual testing.  There is a variety of tests to choose from, but I prefer the CAT5 because I can proctor it myself.  Sometimes we do it all in one day, sometimes we spread it over a few days.  It all depends on our schedule.  Scraps started his this morning, he may do a section tonight when we get home, but he'll also work on it tomorrow morning before we go on our field trip.  Once he's finished, I send it in and in about 2 weeks I'll get his test results back.

While he's doing this today, Monkey is watching some history with Pipo on Amazon Prime (today we learned about the Aztecs) and some phonics for the letter D.


This is his normal way to watch his videos.  Some days he's more into it than others.  Today was a day he was actually engaged.

While both boys are occupied, I've taken advantage and started making a list of meals to work into my plan and researching using Supercook.com.  I've found a few new recipes I want to try...

So what's cooking today?

Breakfast I made up the last of my cabbage. My husband is going to be SO HAPPY when we're out of cabbage because of the effect it has πŸ˜‚



For lunch we had leftovers.  Scraps had a leftover burrito from last night, then a few pancakes when I cooked up the last of the leftover batter for Monkey.  I had "hot dog soup" (which is full of cabbage πŸ˜†πŸ˜†





Supper tonight will be baked chicken thighs for me, stuffed peppers for Hubs, and a mini meatloaf for the boys.  I'm not a big fan of hamburgers or beef meatloaf, and Hubs and Scraps aren't fans of dark meat chicken.  I can bake everything together for about the same amount of time (I have the thighs in packages of 2 in the freezer so they're portioned.)  I'm also going to roast my butternut squash from yesterday and some carrots that are in the fridge. And probably a loaf of bread on the side!

No comments:

Post a Comment