Sunday, April 30, 2023

The Relaunch

We all want to do the best we can for our families. We want to provide them with the best life we can. Fresh air, healthy real foods, a safe environment, plenty of activity and adventure.


That's what this is about.

I spent most of my life living in towns or small cities, always dreaming of owning land where my kids could run freely without worrying about traffic or crazy neighbors. Where they can learn about their food. Where we can be more self-sufficient and raise animals and large gardens. Where we can't just go around the corner to a million fast food choices. Our grocery shopping and cooking and meal planning must be more intentional.

My diet has been primarily keto, while my child needs many more calories due to cystic fibrosis, yet usually doesn't like a lot of carby foods aside from potatoes. I do not currently follow keto as strictly due to my health coach advising me with workouts I need to add some carbs back into my diet. I must be careful with these choices, though, because I am post Roux-en-y gastric bypass. Many don't sit well with my stomach.

I'm also still working on getting to where I want to be physically. Despite the weight loss I still want to tone. There are SO MANY ways to do this without paying for a gym membership! With or without equipment. Utilizing Amazon and Facebook Marketplace, I have started building a small gym in an unused part of my basement. Free weights, an elliptical, foam mats, a heavy bag, and yes, I even got a yoga swing! I don't know about you, but I'm always up for learning something new!! I also have some DVDs and my WiiFit purchased many years ago. These are my tools, along with Nature's Gym.

I'm a single mom working to raise my young son while running my own businesses, fighting his and my health issues, and run a small farm. I'm a homeschool mom, so much of what we do is Unschooling as I teach him as much as possible about real life.

On our small 5 acre farm we raise chickens for both meat and eggs. We raise rabbits for meat and to sell as pets and breeders. We recently acquired goats and lambs. We purchase portions of beef and pork from other farmers. Recently we put a goat in the freezer from another farmer as we are waiting for ours to grow.




Unfortunately, here in MinneSNOWta, we are still waiting for the warmer weather to get here so we don't have the gardens in yet. But it IS time to start seeds that will be going in there! And soon it will be time for foraging. The asparagus is starting to emerge. The hostas are starting to pop up! These have always been decorative in my yard, even in town, but after discovering them on the forage list, they are now on my TO TRY list.

Last year my gardens didn't do well because of a slew of drastic events that took place in my life. My gardens were neglected, I did the bare minimum with my animals, I did just enough to survive.

This year, I am taking life head on. Garden planning and planting, meal planning, foraging, cooking, canning, food preservation, getting my ass back in shape.



I invite you to come learn with me as I take on this journey. Feel free to ask questions or give suggestions for topics you'd like to see!

No comments:

Post a Comment