Sunday, June 8, 2014

30 Day Challenge - Day 7 - Eating Out

For Day 7, I chose Eating Out.

I guess I had just assumed this was a given for a family who is trying to cut down on expenses and save money for other bills.  In the past we'd plan one or at most 2 meals out a week to save me from cooking.  Because of some things that have come up here and have caused a money crunch, I thought my hubby and I were at an understanding about not eating out.  


Until I woke up this morning from a nap with Chubbers to see my husband walking in with a breakfast pizza.


OK, I love breakfast pizza, but the $8 he spent on that could have gone to groceries for later in this week.  I'm attempting to set a meal budget, but I am the only one on board for it right now.  I'm also trying to get my husband to sit down with me so we can work out a budget for the house.  I have offered - and am planning on - closing my checking account since I don't have any money in it anyway.  I will still have my business account, which I have added him to.  I tried explaining that I can better plan things such as groceries or cutting the electric bill down if he would include me in the household finances.


But that is another topic to cover later.  Back to eating out.


My hubby made another smart move by picking up more Hamburger Helper.  That has been a big 'live saver' on nights that we have baseball and don't get home until 8 pm or later. As long as I remember to thaw some ground pork, that is.  I was always hesitant to use ground pork in this because I didn't know how it would come out, but no one in our house has been able to tell the difference!


I think as long as I keep reminding my husband that I have meals planned each day, we should hopefully not be eating out... If only I could keep him from hitting the McD drive-thru when he has Scrappy with him while waiting for us to get home....  I guess I just have to make sure there are snacks around the house that the boys will eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment