Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Doing it!

I've been keeping quite busy in spite of the emotional turmoil.  It's been a month today since we lost Baden, but I'm holding up as good as can be expected.  I had to go to the college today to pick up some paperwork to appeal 2 classes that I failed so they won't affect my GPA.  According to the counselor, my appeal should be granted based on the circumstances.  It's still hard to believe....

I've been pushing myself along.  I stuck to my workout plan until Thursday.  The kids were at Grammy's, so I took advantage of the time and spent the afternoon wrapping Christmas presents since I can't always count on naptime and Christmas is quickly approaching.  The tree looked rather odd without anything under it too.  There's an imbalance of gifts - Beau seems to have more than Scrappy, but he has some bigger (ie, more expensive) than she does.  Quite a few of hers are smaller gifts.  But they all come out to about the same amount.  I think next year, we need to be sure to set a limit on the dollar amount.  It just seems too easy to get "just one more" thing for one, then for the other.... it's not working for our plans for saving money.

Friday I honestly just didn't have the motivation to do anything, let alone my workout routine.  Saturday morning I woke up with a very, very sore and stiff knee.  I broke my left ankle when I was 2 and believe I had messed up my knee at that time, since I've ALWAYS had problems with my left knee as long as I can remember.  Then, my senior year in high school, I was in a bad car accident and buried my knee in the steering column of my car, which was totalled.  I must seem old, because I can usually predict a change in weather based on how my knee feels.  If it hurts to walk up or down stairs and feels like it's going to give out, it means something's up.  The pain didn't go away until Monday morning, so I resumed my workout on the Fit and upped it to an hour, followed with 45 minutes today.

I've been trying several different strategies on how to cut down on costs since I'm still not back to work yet.  My plan is to start up again in January - hoping my clients agree!!!!  In January, I'm due for an upgrade on my cell phone.  Unlike many people, I'm going to do just the opposite and downgrade.  I have a smartphone right now - Blackberry Curve - which I love, but realistically the costs are just CRAZY.  I need to check into other plans for the smartphone, but I know the cheapest way to go right now with our provider is to eliminate the data plan.  That will free up some of my meager pay to go towards other bills.  I've also eliminated another $35 monthly bill by giving up my storage unit.  I have had it for 5 years, and much of the stuff in there has never been touched.  There are totes upon totes of toys that the kids don't even know they HAVE, and the ridiculous amount of stuffed animals and too small clothes.  My plan is to have a garage sale in the spring, or maybe 2, and then try to consign some of the stuff that doesn't sell and donate some to the Epilepsy Foundation.  I love donating to them, particularly since they will pick up donations curbside, rain or shine.

I have become absolutely addicted to a frugality website I found when looking for a recipe for homemade baby wipes.  No, I didn't make the wipes, but I've found many of the tips Heather posts to be quite helpful.  I'm currently undertaking her Pantry Challenge which has actually helped with my menu planning.  I've started cooking some things I haven't made in a while.  The only exceptions to the challenge for me right now is that Christmas is this week, so I will have to do some cooking to take a few treats to my aunt's on Christmas Eve, and the fact that we get WIC, which cover some of the items listed, but there are a few other items on there that aren't "staples."  My husband isn't on board with the challenge, but I'm going to do my best anyway.  For example, yesterday for lunch Scrappy and I had homemade pork fried rice made completely with on hand items and using up leftover pork roast from a couple nights ago.  Last night I made chicken enchilada casserole.  I didn't have any enchilada sauce, but with a quick online search, I found a recipe for a homemade one and I had all the necessary ingredients on hand :)  I had leftover sauce, which I'll try to use later this week, and honestly it was a LOT better than the store-bought packages!!  I would LOVE to make homemade bread, since that's one ingredient that's not listed as a staple, but my husband prefers store-bought bread for sandwiches :( Maybe I'll make it anyway, and maybe he'll change his mind....  Maybe....  Beau was upset that she didn't get any fried rice, so tonight I made chicken fried rice to placate her.  My poor family - they may be eating a lot of oatmeal and rice the next couple weeks since we have both coming out our ears :/  So, like I said, I'm trying the challenge with a few modifications!

I need to go check out the local second hand stores in the next couple weeks.... my vacuum sealer decided it wanted to die on me now that I finally FOUND it again.  So that is going to need to be replaced.  I had called my mom to see if I could borrow her bread machine to see how much I would use one IF I had one.... but she doesn't have it anymore.  She traded it to my aunt.  So maybe I'll see if I can find a used one for cheap.

And I know I've said it before, but I'm trying to get a schedule set to do some blogging more often.  I'm happy that I've been doing pretty good with organizing and sorting throughout the house.  It helps that I do my workout in the mornings - I have SO much more energy to get other things done.  I've been trying to get 2 workouts in when possible.  I do my morning one while Scrappy is doing to nebby and vest treatments and try to get the second one in when he is napping.  (For those who don't know me/my family personally, Scrappy has Cystic Fibrosis, which is the main reason we decided to sacrifice having 2 full-time incomes for 1 full- and 1 part-time... and he's been a LOT healthier!!)

The last 2 weeks, I've gained a total of just over 4 pounds at TOPS, and I'm not too happy with it.  Hopefully all this work will start to pay off soon.  And the fact that I've really cut down on how much Coke I drink and been cooking healthier.  Now only if I wasn't eating so much... time to break the chia out!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment