Wednesday, December 28, 2011

What has gotten into me?

Geez, my to-do list hasn't been getting checked off like it should be... and believe me, it's a LONG to-do list!!  I'm really good at making lists of what needs to be done, just not so good at getting it done. 

Yesterday I thought I was on a roll!!  The kids and I were up at a decent time.  We had to be out of the house by 815 to go to our WIC appointment and pick up Scrappy's PediaSure, drop off the last part of the property tax payment at the courthouse, get pull-ups for the little man, then get a few groceries and pick up a receipt from a client.  Pretty simple to do since I had to have the kids out anyway.  Just one trip and get everything done.  Right?

Yeah right.  Things are never that easy.

Got to the WIC appointment a few minutes early.  The receptionist looked at me funny when I told her I had an appointment.  The Public Health Nurse I was supposed to see was working in her office and wasn't prepared to see anyone.  Just my luck, right?  Um, WRONG!  My appointment was actually supposed to be today - maybe I should have looked at my calendar before I left the house?  Haha but that would be too easy!  She still saw me, the appointment just ended up taking a little bit longer than normal.  We also got Scrappy's 297 cans of PediaSure (3 month supply) and 1 can of DuoCal - they'd call when the other 5 cans come in.

Ok, done there.  Hubby forgot to leave me the check for the property taxes, but that's ok, just postpone that errand until... today... tomorrow...  Off to Walgreens for their brand pull-ups - we find that they work better than the name brand and we don't really care for the WalMart generics.  WalMart's don't seem to contain Scrappy's messiness - way too many blowouts!  We try to stock up on them when they're on sale.  Since they weren't, I only picked up one package. Of course, all I hear throughout the store from Scraps is "Mommy, I want a balloon!!  I want a Spongebob balloon!"  I dragged him toward the checkout.  Beau is following me with "Mom, can we get a treat?  We want a snack.  Please?"  Nope, just getting pull-ups and going!  While we're standing at the checkout, Beau starts chasing Scrappy around the store.  Then he decides he wants to examine everything conveniently placed near the checkout that would attract a child's attention.  Couldn't wait to leave!!!

Grocery store - LAST place to stop!  Needed the WIC necessities, along with the veggies and fruit.  And it never hurts to check the quick sale cooler since I was going to Nelson's.  I've discovered that shopping for meat there is best when I go between 8 and 10am weekdays.  Usually they have just marked down all of the "Reduced for Quick Sale" meats - all the meat that is close to expiration date.  I've found some pretty good deals there!  On this trip, I picked up a 2-pack of split chicken breasts, 2 1-lb packages of pork cutlets, a pork roast, 3 2-packs of chicken leg and thigh quarters, and a 4-pack of chicken thighs.  All of this meat was only about $15.  Pretty good deal!!  I put everything right into the freezer so it would keep.  Really wish my vacuum sealer worked so I could prolong the life of the food.  The other big savings there?  Frozen veggies.  1 lb bags for only $0.68.  I had a WIC voucher for $10 in fruits and veggies, so this was an awesome buy!!!

I was trying the pantry challenge last week. That wasn't working too well for us since my husband doesn't always like it when I experiment.  He usually tries what I make, but that doesn't mean he likes it.  And I've noticed leftovers haven't been getting eaten at our house lately.  I don't know why....  They like the food the first time around.  They never had a problem with leftovers before.  With the kids, I can put out what I want them to eat and that's all they get.  With hubby, if he doesn't like what I make, he can make his own food (and often does).

I'm still trying to cook just with what's in the house.  There are a few things here and there we need but I'm trying to make due without making a special trip to the store.  Last night, leftovers were the menu.  Tonight, breakfast for supper :)  Pancakes, sausage, scrambled eggs, and kiwi.  Scraps had banana instead of kiwi.  The kids love syrup on their pancakes, but I opted for homemade pumpkin butter - sooo yum without being over sweet!

So what did I get done today?  Nothing on my to-do list, and really seems like not much overall, but feels like I worked my butt off, which I kinda did (and I'm counting it as some exercise just in case I don't get my workout in!!)  I defrosted and inventoried my 7 cubic foot chest freezer, hauling all the food out to the garage to keep it cold until I refilled the freezer.  I scrubbed it all out with bleach and warm water and made a huge mess on the floor, but oh well!  While the basement freezer was chilling again, before I filled it, I decided to clean out the upstairs freezer so I could have more useful food up here, and inventoried what was in there too.  Then I figured, well, since I cleaned the freezer, I might as well clean out the fridge too.  I don't know the last time that was done!  Originally I was just going to clean out the old food.  That turned into taking out all the shelves and drawers and scrubbing the inside of the fridge, complete with peeling some caramel off the bottom of the inside.  (Don't ask me how that got there!!  I haven't the slightest idea!)  Man does my fridge look empty!

The rest of my house is a mess.  I need to get it straightened up somewhat before hubby gets home.  It's gonna be another late night for him at work again tonight.  He says he'll be home earlier tomorrow so I can get some of my paperwork done since I can't seem to get much done with the kids here.  It's funny, but I can actually get more done when Beau is at school and I just have Scraps home.....

Got a pleasant surprise from the hubs the other day.  I jokingly asked how he liked my blog, not thinking that he had actually read it.  To my surprise, I found out he has been reading it.  He said he wanted to see how my day had gone. 

Awwww, isn't that sweet :)

No comments:

Post a Comment