Monday, August 20, 2012

Feeling good!

First time in over a year that I've had a gym workout!  Since management changed at Anytime Fitness, I decided to give them another chance and renewed my membership.  They also gave me 3 free months because of all the crap the previous manager put me through.  I renewed it almost 2 weeks ago, but of course, I ended up hurting my back the next day.  Last Friday I was feeling pretty ambitious and told myself that I was either going to the gym or going for a bike ride.  I should have chosen the gym!!

I don't know how, but I managed to convince my husband to go with me and the kids.  I thought maybe we should ride to the grocery store, but he said let's just go to the gas station - baby step since I have only ridden bike once or twice in the last 10 years.  Plus I had Scrappy riding in the bike trailer behind me.  I wish someone would have reminded me that I live on TOP of a hill - I admit I had to stop a few times on the way there and on the way home.  My tops of my knees hurt the whole time we were riding, and my butt hurt for a few days afterwards.  But that's ok - I got quality time with my family while getting a good workout!!

Tonight I forced myself to go to the gym.  Yes, the word is FORCED because I just had to do it.  I think about it and think about it.  No more thinking - just DO it.  (Yeah, Nike, right?? lol!)  It wasn't as hard to get back into it as I had thought.  I wish I would have paid a little more attention when I went to sign up because I didn't notice there were new machines and I'm not familiar with all of them.  I'm sure with a little time I can figure them out.  I tried doing a few 'torso rotations' since it works the abs and back, but I could feel some pulling in my lower back and hip area, so I kept that at a minimum.  The elliptical is my cardio machine of choice - it's a lot easier on the knees.  I wish it had a pause feature though.  I was almost 15 minutes into my workout when I dropped my towel - I stopped to pick it up, and the machine had shut down.  I think some of them do have that feature, but not the one I happened to be on.  So I started it up again, programmed a set time of 30 more minutes, and off I went.  I checked my heart rate on the handles every few minutes to keep it in the 'cardio' range.  I was around 154-157 most of the time, which is at the top end of the cardio range for my specifics, but it's ok with me.

I don't think I'm going to be hitting the gym tomorrow because we have one-day camp for Girl Scouts.  I'm one of the camp counselors.  I'm hoping to get some hiking in to make up for the gym.  It shouldn't be too bad.  I just hope my efforts pay off on the scale this week.

I'm also done with school for a whole 2 weeks.  Just in time for canning season.  Beau and I both start school Sept 4, and Scrappy starts preschool on Sept 13.  It's going to be here before we know it!!

Here's a cute pic of Beau riding horse at camp :)

No comments:

Post a Comment