Sunday, August 12, 2012

Separation Anxiety

Today I took Beau to her first sleep-away camp.  She has stayed overnight with family members for a few days at a time, but never with anyone who wasn't family.  Today she left for a 4-day horse camp for Girl Scouts.  I have been worried because as far as we knew, none of the other girls from our troop would be going.  She has been worried about making new friends.  I told her I didn't think she'd have much trouble and maybe she'll even make a few friends who would want to become pen pals!

After getting her registered, Beau and I went to drop off her stuff in her cabin and drop off some money at the 'trading post' (camp store).  When she walked into her cabin, the first girl she saw just happened to be one from our troop!  So now she actually KNOWS someone there.  Not that the two of them get along particularly well - as a matter of fact, this particular girl grinds on my every nerve - but maybe they'll become friends at camp.  We went to the trading post and Beau picked out a couple patches for her Junior vest - one is for First Time Camp Out (for GS), another is Camp Like a Girl, and the third is for attending that particular camp.

By the time I left, she was doing pretty good.  She had changed into her swimming suit and was heading off to the pool with the other girls from her cabin.  I left a letter with her camp counselor to be delivered tonight if she has separation anxiety, or tomorrow if not.  She was also supposed to be getting a care package tonight that Daddy sent in for - it's a t-shirt, jump rope, cinch sack, journal, and a few other things.  I'm hoping she does well.  She already told me she wants to go to the 13 day horse camp next year.  I told her we need to see how she does this year first.

I must admit, I'm excited to hear all about her time at camp and look forward to getting her camera developed when she gets back!!  I'll have to post some pictures :)

No comments:

Post a Comment