Friday, January 4, 2013

Back to TOPS!

So far so good with the new year!!  I have been working pretty hard on sticking to my resolutions.  Even though I haven't made it to the gym yet this year (Scrappy is still on winter break from school) I have managed to be a bit more active just here at home.  I have been making quite a bit of progress on my sorting and purging project also.  My kitchen is slowly but surely coming to order.  I'll post pictures once I get closer to being done with it.  I've been very persistent with keeping my counter tops cleaned off and getting dishes washed, which was usually something I would procrastinate on.

Yesterday I went back to TOPS for the first time in over 2 months.  I must say, in spite of everything that has happened since last time I was there, including my miscarriage the beginning of November, I'm happy to report I gained only 6 1/2 pounds where I had thought it was more like 10 or so.  I have also been recording EVERYTHING I have had to eat since Jan 1.  I'm still working on my plan to attend as many meetings as possible this year for TOPS.  We talked about officer positions, and I am the #1 choice for President.  However, I have a dilemma.  I no longer have child care for Scrappy.  My friend who had been babysitting for me has a full time job now so she can no longer watch him.  So now the search is on for a morning sitter.  I'm really hoping to get this figured out soon!!!

I'm kind of lacking in the energy department today.  I was told to "take it easy" for the next 24 hours because I donated blood last night.  My husband went with and tried donating for the first time, but unfortunately his blood pressure was a little too high, so he was rejected.  We ended up picking up supper on the way home since it took longer than we had planned.  We ended up eating out the night before too because we spent a couple hours trying to find new snowpants  and winter coats for the kids.  (Normally I pick up new coats for them in early spring when they are on clearance, but their coats were still big, so I didn't get them new ones.  Of course, they had growth spurts now and their stuff is too small :/  But their new stuff should fit this year and next too since they're each a size too big....)  Over the weekend, I need to be sure to cook healthy and plan out meals for next week.  Realistically, we could have had leftovers, but we decided dinner out was just easier (though not healthier).

I'm having some trouble explaining why we need to eat healthy to my daughter.  Beau, like most kids, would prefer chips and fries at every meal.  We got into an argument about breakfast this morning.  She asked what was for breakfast since we had muffins the last 2 mornings.  I told her there are leftover muffins, granola bars, cereal, or toast.  Of course, instead of having a granola bar, she wanted one of Scrappy's high calorie/high fat bars for breakfast.  Then she decided that if she couldn't have one, either could he.  Which started the argument about who is the parent in the house.  Hubby and I then explained to her - again - why Scrappy needs high calorie and high fat foods and she doesn't.  She is a little overweight already - not enough to be concerned about, especially since she's only 9 - but I don't want her to have to go through a lot of what I did dealing with weight problems.  If she can learn healthy eating habits now, it will help her in the long run.  I've been trying really hard to set a good example, including passing on junk food, limiting sweets, planning healthy meals, and being active.  I really don't know what else I can do to help her more....

No comments:

Post a Comment