Thursday, January 24, 2013

On the Mend

I broke down and went to the chiropractor yesterday.  As my luck would have it, the one I usually use is on vacation all week, so I had to try a different one.  One phone call later and I was on my way in.  Of course there is the mandatory stack of paperwork.  I don't know why they need me to repeat my address, phone number, and employment information on every single page... but 10 minutes later I was done with it.  He asked what work I've had in the past and what treatments have worked.  He did ultrasound therapy combined with an electric current therapy.  It. Was. Amazing.

Until he told me to roll over.

I had instant tears when I tried moving.  When I finally got situated, he did the first adjustment.  Then I very carefully - and tearfully - rolled to my other side so he could do another adjustment.  After that I just laid on my back for a few minutes while I caught my breath.  The pain literally knocked the wind out of me.  The doc was hopeful, though, because he said he felt and heard my back move.  I'd still have a bit of pain for a couple days, but he assured me it would be better.

Today I actually managed to walk more than a few steps without almost collapsing from pain!  I was actually able to get out of bed without tremendous effort also!  I felt well enough that I went to my TOPS meeting.  I was quite worried that, with the lack of activity this week, I would have gained.  I was almost ecstatic to find out I actually lost half a pound.  That really made my day!!

But my joy was short lived.

I picked Scrappy up from the sitter and came home.  We had 1 hour to make and eat lunch before we had to leave for preschool.  We ended up not going to preschool.  Again.  We had leftovers.  Scrappy picked what he wanted, then refused to eat any of it.  When I asked him to at least try a few bite, he began fake-coughing and gagging, then yelling that his throat hurt and his head hurt and said he was choking.  It turned into an all-out temper tantrum by the time he was done.  I was about ready to have my own tantrum after about 15 minutes of it!

About half an hour into the tantrum, he finally wore himself out and fell asleep.  I let him sleep until we had to get ready to pick Beau up from school.  Unfortunately the tantrum picked up right where it had left off.

It was just one of those days where I had to remind myself: I chose to stay home with the kids.  And I love being a mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment