Saturday, January 7, 2012

New Potty Training Strategy

Scrappy has developed a slight fear of his potty chair.  He tells me there is a monster in it.  I'm not sure where he got this idea from.  For a while he loved his new potty chair that Daddy picked out because it is a Cars potty chair.  It has a little lever on the left hand side.  When you push the lever down, it makes a race car sound.  He loved trying to go on it just for the excuse of playing with the handle and making the noise.  Then suddenly one day he told me he was "scared of the potty."  I haven't been able to get him to sit on it since.

Today while my hubby was at work (yes, he's still working Saturdays) I was trying to figure out what we could do to get him to go.  Offering treats doesn't work.  I'm already giving him time to play the Wii as a reward for doing his treatments so he isn't fighting on that anymore (and it keeps him busy while I'm cooking if he's playing Monster Jams.  Or I'll let him do the Wii Fit and exercise his lungs more!  But I need to help him more with that one...)  I know he loves monster trucks, and is always asking for more.  He's been asking for Maximum Destruction lately.  (I had looked and looked and not been able to find it.)

Our kids are used to having a reward system.  They have an old glass wine jug that they put change into as they earn it for helping around the house.  In the late summer when we go to the county fair, the kids get to use their money saved up in the jar as their money to use to play games and go on rides.  Since it's their money to share, it wouldn't be fair to give him change to put into that jar. 

Instead, I took fifty cents out of their fair money jar - in pennies.  I recently emptied a small coffee can, so I cut a slit in the lid, and put the pennies in a baggie on top of the coffee can.  Then I ran to WalMart to look at monster trucks (and to just get out of the house by myself - I love my kids, but sometimes Mama needs a break too!!) and specifically search for Max D.  It took some looking, and cost a little more than I planned on, but I did find a package that had both Max D and Batman, which he doesn't have yet either.  (Yes, I've been trying to save money, but on the other hand I figured these 2 trucks cost less than 2 packages of pull ups.  If they work to get him potty trained, then they'll pay for themselves!)

The way the reward is (planned) going to work is, every time he tries to go potty on his potty chair, he gets to put one penny in the coffee can.  When all 50 are in there, he gets 1 of the new monster trucks.  Then we start over, but he only gets a penny when he actually goes on the potty chair.  When all 50 are in can, he gets the other truck (and should hopefully be potty trained by then!!)  I also discussed with my husband that we need to be more adamant about underpants.  The only time Scrappy will be allowed to wear a pull up will be nap time, bed time, and when we're traveling/driving.  We can get him to wear underpants, but he refuses to wear the plastic pants that go over them :/  And we keep reminding him that Brobee/Mater/(insert other character from Yo Gabba Gabba or Cars 2) doesn't like it when he goes potty/poopy on them.

Wish us luck!!  I'm always open to more suggestions!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment