Friday, January 6, 2012

Nature's Identity Crisis

I don't think nature realizes it's January - in Minnesota.  We had a record high of 52 yesterday, and it was still quite warm today - in the 40's!!  Where is all the snow???  I really want to go cross country skiing, but until we get some of that white stuff, that's not going to happen.  Rumor has it we might get some next week.  Wonder if it will stick around?

Scrappy went with me to TOPS on Thursday and I only stayed for weigh in (I gained a pound.  I'm getting a little frustrated since it seems like working out doesn't have much effect.  I know, I know.  Patience).  He was still running a fever (with no other symptoms) which finally broke this afternoon, so he couldn't go to the sitter's.  Since we were out of the house to take Beau to school anyway, I had a few errands that just could not wait any longer - I'd already put them off long enough!  (I also told Scrappy if he was a good boy during all our running, Mommy would buy him a donut on the way home!)

After TOPS, the first stop was the grocery store. 9 am is the perfect time to go because, of course, they had just put out a bunch of "Reduced for Quick Sale" items and were still bringing more over.  Now, I stocked up pretty well last time I went shopping but figured, since I had to get milk, eggs, other WIC things, and cat food and litter.  Found some pretty good meat deals again.  3 packages of dark meat chicken quarters (2 per package, $0.89/lb), 2 pork roasts ($1.99/lb), 2 small packages pork tenderloin medallions (2 per package, about $1.50/pkg), and a package 3 bone-in pork chops (about $2.50).  These were really good discounts when looking at the prices of the same items that were not reduced. (I won't be needing to buy meat for a while!)

After the grocery store, we still had a little while before our appointment at the consignment store, so we went to Shopko to pick up 6 prescriptions, then the college to pick up my books.  They only cost $144, but there was a HUGE stack of them.  I didn't have to buy books for 2 of my classes since I already have them from last semester (I failed 2 classes last semester because of my health problems and ultimately our loss of our Little Warrior - but I am appealing these F's since I believe I have a good reason, as does my advisor.) 

When we were done at the college, it was time to go to the consignment store.  I know from past experience that they have a limit of 50 items to be consigned at a time, so I took everything that I had sorted our already.  This was the equivalent of an 18 gallon tote.  I was very surprised that, other than an unopened package of beads, an unopened puzzle, and an old Halloween costume, they took everything.  I was told that if I bring the costume back in the fall, they'll take it then.  Yay!!

The last stop before going to get Scrappy's donut (yes, I delivered on that promise!) was at the funeral home.  I wrote a lot of thank you notes, but ran out.  As part of their service, they provided us with thank you notes. (too bad postage wasn't included!)  I got 2 boxes, although I doubt I'll need all of them... better safe than sorry, right?

Since hubby had to work late last night, we kept supper easy - mac and cheese and hot dogs.  So healthy, right?  But I tend to treat the kids with some of their favorites when he's not home, and work towards making fuller meals when he is.  I prefer if he doesn't have to worry so much about what's for supper since he's the one working full-time.

We really needed something different tonight.  The same old thing gets tiring after a while.  I had noticed when cleaning out the cupboards that I had been finding quite a few taco seasoning packets.  I've also been hungry for Spanish rice.  This made the supper decision easy!  I had kept out 2 packages of the chicken quarters wondering what I should do with them.  Chicken tacos with Spanish rice!  Turned out pretty good too!  Beau's always a big eater, but hubby enjoyed 4 tacos.  Even Scrappy was munching on the meat, and he's very picky.

I bet that chicken would be good on a salad... hmmm....

No comments:

Post a Comment